Have you become a bit fed up with your home? Do you no longer enjoy spending time in it? If so, this could simply be because your home is in need of some TLC. Our properties all need maintaining, and after time, there are some areas that will need addressing more than others. However, it can be difficult to know where to start or what to prioritise. With that in mind, read on to discover some of the key signs that your house is in need of some TLC.
- Gurgling noises are coming from your drains – If you can hear sounds coming from your fixtures and pipes, which you don’t usually hear, then this is a sign that there is something wrong with your drains. This is especially the case when gurgling noises are combined with a toilet that is taking longer than usual to flush or sinks that aren’t clearing as quickly as usual. This gurgling sound will usually indicate that you have clogged drains. It is better to deal with this issue now, rather than waiting until you have a complete blockage on your hands. Not only could the latter scenario cost you more money, but also it could result in your bathroom floor being covered with toilet water and being out of use for a few days – not a situation anyone wants to experience.
- Worn countertops – If you hate the thought of preparing dinner in the evening, it may not be that you have fallen out with cooking, it could be that you have fallen out of love with your kitchen. One of the main reasons for this is worn countertops. Countertops, after all, are a good indication regarding the level of wear and tear in your kitchen, and in your house altogether. Over time, they can become worn to a dull appearance, burnt, and chipped. Replacing your countertops with a durable and high quality option is advised, as this will add further aesthetic appeal to your property while also boosting the value of it if you ever do decide to sell.
- Clutter – This is a major problem in a lot of homes. If you have a lot of clutter in your house, you are never going to enjoy spending time in it. This is because clutter creates chaos, which makes it impossible to relax or even think straight. Now is the time to tackle it. You should tackle each room, one-by-one, arranging all of your belongings into three categories: must keep, nice to keep, and don’t need. Anything in the latter category should be thrown away immediately. Anything in the first category should be kept and allocated a place in the room. You then need to deal with the items that would be nice to keep. Keep anything that you can find a space for, and get rid of anything you can’t place anywhere. And, by space, we mean in a drawer or on display, not simply piling things in the corner of a room. This will help you to make sure that you have the adequate amount of things for the size of your home. In order to maintain this level of organisation, you must then follow the one in, one out rule. So, whenever you purchase something new, you need to get rid of something you have in your home already to accommodate it.
- Mould and mildew – If you have mildew and mould in your home, you definitely need to act as quickly as possible. Not only does it look unpleasant, but also it can cause health risks to anyone living in the property. You may be wondering why your property has been attacked with mould and mildew. Both are indicators that you have too much moisture in your property. You will usually find mildew and mould in the kitchen and bathroom, but they can both appear in any room. So, the first thing you need to do is buy an appropriate cleaner to tackle the problem. Once you have done this, assess the ventilation in the room where the mould has formed. Consider opening a window or turning on a fan when these rooms are particularly humid so you can stop the mould and mildew from forming again.
- Water damage – This is another clear sign that your property is in need of TLC. Water damage accumulates over time, which is why it is vital to deal with the issue as soon as you notice it, otherwise you could end up with an extremely expensive repair bill on your hands. There are a number of signs that indicate you could have water damage, such as stained ceilings, running water when no one is using it, and a spongy feeling underneath your floor tiles. Your water damage could be an indicator that your roof is damaged or that you have leaky pipes. Either way, you need to get the professionals in as soon as possible to rectify the issue.
- Your carpets look dirty and dull – If you simply cannot breathe life into your carpets anymore; it’s time for an upgrade. Of course, you could give professional carpet cleaning a try before you give up altogether. Nonetheless, carpet doesn’t last a lifetime, and so it may be a good idea to consider something a bit more long lasting, such as hardwood flooring or tiled flooring. This can add a modern and stylish touch to your property while also being a lot easier to maintain.
If you have noticed any of the signs that have been mentioned above, it is important to take the steps to rectify the issues. By doing this, you are sure to fall in love with your property all over again. Your house will be much more enjoyable to be in, and you don’t need to worry about the issue getting worse and costing you even more money later down the line. You could save yourself a fortune!